Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Grandma

Definition of Grandmother from Urbandictionary.com:

grandmother

any kindly, sweet old woman who will happily boost your self-esteem and write you letters and love you. tends to know lots of neat old songs and obscure, off-color jokes. generally much cooler and less scary than one's actual mother.

Yesterday, I wrote a post about Grandma. Looking back on it today - it wasn't quite what I was thinking of writing about my Grandma. So, I am going to give it another attempt.

My grandma is an amazing woman. I think any lady who has had and raised 8 kids is amazing - but my grandma tops everyone else in the amazing factor. I am lucky to be the second oldest grandkid - the oldest granddaughter! I have very fond memories of going to Grandpa and Grandma's house for family gatherings. When I was younger, I remember I couldn't wait until I could find the toys and play with my cousins. I remember us kids running around in the basement of their Enumclaw house and running on the treadmill. Of course, mom would always give us the warning "Don't run in Grandma's house." I remember going to their house for Sunday morning meeting when I was small and I knew even then they had something special and lasting. I remember the Smith family going to a hotel to celebrate our Christmas holiday because the family was getting too big for any one house to accommodate us. The grandkids would run in the hallways, shouting to one another and racing each other to the swimming pool. Grandpa and Grandma would get us kids the same presents often - the granddaughters would get something doll or barbie related and the grandsons would be legos. I think it was an easy for us grandkids nto to be jealous of each others gifts and so kind of Grandpa and Grandma too. Around 10-11 pm the snacks would come out again and then games would be brought out. Midnight was probably the earliest anyone went to bed! As I got older we grandkids were shown Grandma's "junk" drawer where there was always goodies. If Grandma knew we were coming, there would always be some sort of homemade treats, cookies, cake, pies, etc - and we were allowed to have seconds. As I got older I was anxious to go to Grandpa and Grandma's house to visit my Aunt Amy, who is 3 years my senior, but often found her gone visiting her friends. I was disappointed but loved spending time with the Grandparents. Now, as an adult - I feel so incredibly lucky to know both sets of my grandparents. I have a different kind of an appreciation for my grandparents than I did as a child. As a child I looked forward to hugs and what I could receive from Grandpa and Grandma. As I have gotten older my appreciate for them has changed and I find myself wondering often what can I learn from them. What can I do to help and how can I be an encouragement to them? I have never heard Grandma speak an unkind word or talk poorly of someone. She is incredibly encouraging and always ready to give a hug. I can't believe I haven't yet mentioned her sense of humor. Grandma has the best sense of humor and is always ready to crack a joke with that sweet twinkle in her eye. I love my Grandparents and am so thankful that I have the privilege of knowing them in my adulthood. I hope that I can be even 1/2 of the wonderful person my Grandma is.


No comments:

Post a Comment