Monday, November 16, 2015

A major career change

"An amazing thing happens when you get honest with yourself and start doing what you love, what makes you happy. Your life literally slows down. You stop wishing for the weekend. You stop merely looking forward to special events. You begin to live in each moment and start feeling like a human being. You just ride the wave that is life, with this feeling of contentment and joy. You move fluidly, steadily, calm and grateful. A veil is lifted, and a whole new perspective is born." - Jes Allen.

It had become apparent over time that working in an office, as a Receptionist, with no other positions opening up for me to move into was not the right place for me. It was honestly a struggle to get up each morning and to get to work each day. I felt like I was stuck and didn't have a choice of what to do with my life. Every day, going to the same job, with the same people, in the same environment - which did nothing to uplift or fulfill me. 

I had looked at countless nanny jobs but for some reason I never applied to them. I would think "Oh, this would be the best nanny job for me ... " I wasn't sure how I could prove to parents of kids that I would be their best option as a nanny. I hadn't had nanny experience since my early college days - although I have had lots of experience with kids my whole life.

Finally, it happened one morning. It happened to be a Friday morning and I woke up early. I knew that morning that I had a decision to make ... either accept that I was going to wake up every morning and go to a job that I did not like at all, or start applying to nanny jobs. I decided that the latter needed to happen. That morning, I applied to 3 nanny jobs. I heard back from one, and went on an interview Tuesday evening. The interview went okay, but I didn't walk away feeling like I got that job. They said they would let me know in the next day or two. So, I applied to 3 more nanny jobs Tuesday night.

Wednesday, we left for convention ... and Thursday morning, I received an email from someone I had applied to Tuesday evening wanting to meet with me. I scheduled a meeting for Saturday morning and then heard back from the Tuesday evening job that they had found alternate care. I went to the interview on Saturday morning and came away feeling that I needed to get that job. Within 2 hours, I had a request for a background check and another interview where I would meet the family. 

I met the family on Wednesday night and the kids were adorable and such fun! There was a 5 year old boy, 3 year old girl and 8 month old boy. The dad was in the kitchen cooking dinner and we chatted so comfortably. The mom was awesome again, too. When it was time for me to leave, the 3 year old girl asked "But, where are you going?" When I told her that I was going home to eat dinner myself she asked "Can you come back again though?" I answered "Oh, wouldn't that be so much fun? I would love that." The mom told me that she would let me know in the next day or two.

The wait: Every 2 minutes at work on Thursday, I checked my email. I finally limited myself to every 10 minutes. All. Day. Long. Luckily my boss was gone that day. I started to organize and clean out my desk and my inbox. It was that night at 8:15 pm that I got an email saying they wanted to hire me as their nanny!!!! I was ecstatic! I was beyond giddy! I was so absolutely on top of the world! 

I went into work on Friday and emailed my resignation letter to my boss. I gave a one week notice so that I would have a week off between jobs. 

It was one of the best decisions that I've made in my life. I felt like a huge weight lifted off me when I gave my notice and I knew that I would do something with my life that I love doing - working with kids. 

I encourage anyone to follow their dreams. Don't let negative self-talk or doubts get you down. If there is something that you want to do and it's not completely out of this world achievable - go for your dreams! I did and life has been wonderful! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment